* Reassurance and Education
- Soap (especially bubble bath) is the most common cause of burning with passing urine (or genital itching) in young girls.
- The vulva is very sensitive to the drying effect of soap.
- Only cleanse the genital area with warm water.
- After puberty, soap can be tolerated.
* Baking Soda/Warm Water Soaks - Young Girls Only
- Soak the genital area for 10 minutes to remove irritants and decrease painful urination.
- Add 2 ounces (60 ml) baking soda per tub of warm water. (Reason: baking soda is better than vinegar for the prepubertal age group.)
- During soaks, be sure she spreads her legs and allows the water to cleanse the genital area.
- Repeat baking soda soaks treatment 2 times per day for 2 days.
* Fluids - Offer More
- Give extra fluids to drink (Reason: to produce a dilute, nonirritating urine).
* Avoid Soaps - Young Girls Only
- Avoid bubble bath, soap, and shampoo to the genital area because they are irritants.
- Only use warm water to cleanse vulva.
- Baby oil can be used to remove any dried secretions from the labia.
* Pain Medicine
- Give ibuprofen every 6 hours or acetaminophen every 4 hours as needed to reduce the painful urination. (See Dosage table.)
* Reasons To Call Back
- Pain with urination becomes Severe
- Pain not cleared in 24 hours with baking soda soaks
- Your child becomes worse