* Liquid Antacid for Mouth Pain for children over 1 year old
- For mouth pain, use a liquid antacid such as Mylanta or the store brand. Give 4 times per day as needed. After meals often is a good time.
- For children over age 6, can use 1 teaspoon (5 ml) as a mouth wash. Keep it in the mouth as long as possible. Then can spit it out or swallow it.
- For younger children age 1 to 6, put a few drops in the front of the mouth. Can also put it on with a cotton swab.
- Caution: Do not use regular mouth washes, because they sting.
* Pain Medicine
- For pain relief, give acetaminophen every 4 hours Or ibuprofen every 6 hours (See Dosage table).
* Offer Soft Diet
- Encourage favorite fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Cold drinks, milkshakes and popsicles are especially good.
- Offer soft foods.
- Avoid salty foods, citrus fruits and foods that need much chewing.
* Reasons To Call Back